PREPARE YOUR HOME FOR VACATION
Many of our customers will be enjoying a well-deserved vacation during these final weeks of Summer. Many are really not quite sure if they should be thinking about or doing anything else besides locking the door behind them. Some may even ask a neighbor to keep an eye on the home but there is much more to consider!
TWO WEEKS BEFORE DEPARTURE
- Notify local police departments – in many cases, they will patrol the neighborhood and check on opened doors and windows
- Stop the daily or weekly newspapers and journals
- Double check the Alarm System, where applicable, and notify the provider the monitor’s fire and burglar alarms
- Make sure shrubs and weeds are not growing into or blocking the airflow around the outside heat pump or air conditioning condensing unit
- Turn off outdoor sprinkler systems
- Purchase and install timers on selected lights throughout the home
- Leave a key, trip itinerary, alarm code and phone number with a trusted neighbor
JUST PRIOR TO DEPARTURE
- Flush toilets
- Run dishwasher
- Set thermostat higher (during cooling season – lower during heating season) but DO NOT turn off completely as mold can form in very humid regions
- Set the timers for on-off times. Example: the living light could come on at 7:00 p.m. and off at 10:00 p.m.
- Make sure the air handler or furnace air filter is clean and or replaced
- Turn off the cold water valve to the water heater
- Set alarm
- make sure all remaining trash is removed from the home
And lastly – GO ENJOY!
We hope this small checklist can guide you in getting your home ready for your vacation. We have found that these little common sense tips and reminders really work well and can save the homeowner much possible aggravation. For further information, we remind you to contact us at ServiceMarkInfo@ServiceMarkSolutions.com. If you think of something we’ve missed, please let us know and we’ll include your ideas in a later article.
Comments are closed.