Like any mechanical system, having your HVAC system (Heating- Ventilation- Air Conditioning) routinely serviced will pay dividends in the long run. A proper annual “tune up” will also satisfy and keep in place the manufacture’s equipment warranty. Much like changing the motor oil in your automobile, per the auto manufacturers recommendations, you must complete an annual service check up on your heating and cooling systems to protect that very valuable system warranty.
The most important thing a homeowner can do, besides calling and scheduling the annual HVAC equipment tune-up, is to change the system’s air filter on a monthly basis especially if it is a fiberglass type of air filter.
Please read the description below describing the different air filters one can employ to filter the air that enters the living space of your home or business.
Central Air Conditioning Filters
Keeping the dust and dirt out is all-important to your AC system’s ability to work effectively on a day to day basis.
Clean filters allow your air conditioner (or heating system) to run more efficiently, which will save you money on monthly energy bills and help you avoid costly repairs or pre-mature system replacement.
Plus, a clean filter promotes a cleaner living environment by improving your home’s air quality.
You’ll want to replace your air conditioning filters, or clean reusable filters at least four times a year and as often as every month during high usage times. Remember, with AC filters you get what you pay for, so make sure that you purchase one that will provide you the most benefits.
There are several types of filter options available:
- Disposable fiberglass filters are the least expensive—and the least effective—designed to block only large dust particles. However, smaller particles such as pollen and mold can pass right through.
REPLACE THESE FILTERS MONTHLY WHEN HEATING OR COOLING.
- Washable “electrostatic” filters have a static charge that attracts dust, dirt and other matter. These filters are slightly more effective than disposable but still do not block the smaller particles.
WASH/CLEAN THESE FILTERS EVERY 3 MONTHS FOR PROPER FILTRATION
- Pleated “allergy” filters use a much denser mesh material to trap and eliminate large allergens like pollen and mold—most are 35 to 50% efficient.
REPLACE THESE FILTERS AT LEAST EVERY 3 MONTHS FOR EFFECTIVENESS
- Electronic air cleaners create an ionized electrical field that “magnetizes” pollutant particles, eliminating virtually all pollen and mold spores, up to 94% of smaller particles and up to 80% of airborne viruses.
MAKE SURE YOUR HVAC TECHNCIAN ENSURES THE UNIT IS WORKING AT TIME OF ANNUAL SERVICE
- HEPA furnace filters are the “gold standard.” These filters are used in commercial applications like hospitals, electronics manufacturing and sometimes in homes where there are serious allergy problems. These top of the line air filters are used where clean air is vital!
To find out the right air conditioning filter for your HVAC system, schedule an appointment with ServiceMark Heating, Cooling & Plumbing where our over 65 years of industry leading knowledge will help your home’s heating and cooling systems to operate their very best and continue to provide good trouble-free service for many years.
Call 800-474-5200 to schedule your annual heating and cooling TUNE UP today and feel more comfortable ‘year round.’