Winter is finally here in full-force and the ServiceMark Heating Cooling & Plumbing team has assembled a common-sense list of proper Home Maintenance items for your review.
See how well your home is prepared for cold weather
Your Heating System
- If you haven’t already, have a licensed HVAC contractor perform the yearly furnace/boiler tune-up
- Replace throw-a-way air filters on a monthly basis – or clean the permanent filter
- Check fuel tanks for proper fill level
- Set heat no lower than 55 degrees
- Open doors to unoccupied rooms to even out the temperature and reduce cold spots
- Open cabinet doors under sinks where water piping is near exterior walls
- Add extra attic insulation to help prevent ice jams by reducing warm air escaping into the attic and melting snow and ice which later re-freezes causing damage eventually
- Add weather stripping and caulking when you locate drafts around doors and windows
- Make sure screens were all removed and all storm windows are properly installed
- Know where your water shut off valve is located in case of an emergency
- Check for water leaks and repair immediately – use heat tape to protect vulnerable water piping
- Compare heating bill amount to the same month last year to check for savings
Your Winter Safety Measures
- Look for and remove broken tree branches that could fall against the house or injure someone
- Keep gutters clear of leaves and tree debris to ensure melting snow can be removed
- Repair steps and handrails where necessary – clear ice and snow thoroughly!
- Double check all fire, smoke, and CO alarms for proper operation
- Make sure you have enough snowmelt and fuel for snow blowers on hand
ServiceMark Heating Cooling & Plumbing, with over 60 years as an industry leader, stands by to assist all your Home Comfort needs on a 24/7/365 basis.
Please check back, on occasion, for more timely and important safety information, ways to reduce your monthly energy costs and much more.
Please call us if we can help!